Monday, October 20, 2008

Product Review: Standalone Umbrella (designer: Hironao Tsuboi)




Wile reviewing my starred items in my google reader, I found out that some time ago I bookmarked this post from Yanko Design blog.
Well, this is not a hole new product but I like to think it as a product improvement.
I will not talk about aesthetics, because maybe to me it could seem as the most beautiful object in the world but not to you, and I will not talk about the engineering problems that must have been resolved to make this umbrella stand up (the umbrella has not its weight evenly distributed...in fact as you can see the tripod is not symmetrical) because with the required study those problems most of the times can be resolved.
The thing that I would like to talk about is the product concept (from my point of view off course, because I've never had the chance to talk with Mr. Tsuboi).
Ok here it is...
How many times, in a rainy day off course, you entered in a room, cafeteria, public service building and just after the door you scanned all the area trying to find a place to leave your umbrella...without finding any?
Well most of the times in those places there is not an umbrella holder (at least in Greece)...so the next thing is leaving the wet umbrella on the dirty floor (with the consequence of leaving the place with a dirty umbrella), trying to balance it between floor and wall (wetting the wall, leaving grey spots on it...why must I ruin something that is not mine?) or just kipping the umbrella in my hand (trying to forget the wet feeling and avoiding the dripping).
So, I think the standalone is a very good idea....just leave the umbrella beside the enter door, ok maybe some wet floor over there but hey...floors are weeped out every day.
The only thing is that, due to color availability (only black and white), if there is more than one umbrella you could mismatch yours with another, but Mr. Tsuboi thought about that too...as I can see in pic.3 there is a tab where you can put your name on (I think).
To resume...very nice work and hope to see it in a shop near me!!!

No comments: